Friday, October 09, 2009

Read the Bible in 90 Days - Day 5

The reading for Day 5 spanned the history of God's people after Joseph's reign, which was the beginning of a period of slavery for the Hebrews. They were beaten, abused and enslaved by the Egyptians for over 400 years.

At the beginning of the book of Exodus, I was amazed at the hatred that was turned toward God's people. Despite every effort to kill their male children, God still prevailed and raised up a prophet and leader in the person of Moses. Of course, this is a familiar turn of history and passage of Scripture, but I noticed in these chapters how God hardened the heart of Pharoah on so many occassions. His purpose was only to then deliver and receive the glory.

I immediately thought of Jesus and the blind man. His discipled asked Him, "Who has sinned? This man, his mother or his father?" Jesus quickly reminded them that no one's sinned caused his blindness. Instead, he was blind because God wanted to operate through Him. God wanted to use him to birth a miracle and receive glory.

As I read through each trial and plague, I imagined the strong sense of discouragement and disappointment that God's people must have felt. Imagine being enslaved and told you are free only to find yourself enslaved again. Disappointment after disappointment... False hope after false hope...

Today, it is an encouragement for me. I just began to meditate on all the times that people treated me harshly. Yet, God received the glory. Could all that I've been through be for that purpose, for the sake of my testimony? Wow - God is truly awesome! It's a quick reminder that this walk is not at all about us. If we are called and chosen of God, we must give as lives as a sacrifice to be used in whatever manner necessary to bring God glory!

No comments: