Monday, June 11, 2007

You Say You Know God's Voice, but Does He Know Yours?

My husband asked me a question last week, and God has dealt with me about this very thing ever since. It's the concept of having a prayer life - time set aside to commune with and worship the Father.

Especially in the realm of the prophetic, intimate time with God is still discussed more than it is practiced. I even told my Pastor one day about how it confused me to see pastors online when I get to work in the morning, still online when I come home, and yet still online when I go to bed, without ever taking a break. So many say they talk to God throughout the day, and that's fine, but where is the invested time for intimacy?

The question my husband posed was this: Jesus was a teacher and a prophet. He had a constant and consistent relationship with the Father, yet He still took PRIVATE, PROLONGED time to pray. For all intents and purposes, He had a prayer closet and did not live and/or minister based only on revelation from dreams and visions. Hmmmm... He was not so "supernatural" that He didn't have to spend time in God's presence, alone and without the company of others.

I immediately thought of marriages. We've seen many couples married for years, yet they divorce because there is no intimacy. They live together every day. They talk every day. Yet, their intimate time together does not exist. They don't DATE anymore. Has the church gotten so high-minded and sadity that we don't recognize our need to steal away and spend time with God?

I told my pastor last week that I truly miss some of the old mothers in the church that trained me. They taught me how to get on my face, shut the door and turn down my plate until I heard God's voice. They taught me how, like Jacob, we sometimes have to press in and literally wrestle until God answers. I learned that when you really want intimacy with the Father, just like in a natural relationship, intimate time is required. It's scary to see so many ministers, pastors and teachers who don't even have the discipline or DESIRE to spend an hour alone with God each day.

Yes, Jesus did talk to the Father on an ongoing basis, throughout the day, but He also took time out to spend in prayer, alone and in private. He humbled Himself to realize that He had to SEEK God. As the Body of Christ, we must not neglect what Christ taught and DID.

When was the last time someone called your house, and you refused to answer the phone because you were in prayer? When was the last time you turned down attendance to a family cookout because you had a date of worship with the Father? Everything is on our calendars except HIM. Where is the PREPARATION for ministry? RELATIONSHIP can not be fully developed without INTENTIONAL time and an INVESTMENT of energy! We must remember that revelation is a gift; prophecy is a gift; dreams are a gift - NOT prayer and often take little efforts on our part. When are we going to wrestle as Jacob did for relationship with God? When is your next date with Him? Have you committed a time to meet Him today, tomorrow...?

Matt 26:36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane, and He told His disciples, Sit down here while I go over yonder and pray.
Matt 26:37 And taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, He began to show grief {and} distress of mind and was deeply depressed.
Matt 26:38 Then He said to them, My soul is very sad {and} deeply grieved, so that I am almost dying of sorrow. Stay here and keep awake {and} keep watch with Me.
Matt 26:39 And going a little farther, He threw Himself upon the ground on His face and prayed saying, My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will [not what I desire], but as You will {and} desire.
Matt 26:40 And He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and He said to Peter, What! Are you so utterly unable to stay awake {and} keep watch with Me for one hour?

Luke 3:21 Now when all the people were baptized, and when Jesus also had been baptized, and [while He was still] praying, the [visible] heaven was opened
Luke 3:22 And the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came from heaven, {saying,} You are My Son, My Beloved! In You I am well pleased {and} find delight!

Luke 9:18 Now it occurred that as Jesus was praying privately, the disciples were with Him, and He asked them, Who do men say that I am?

Luke 9:28 Now about eight days after these teachings, Jesus took with Him Peter and John and James and went up on the mountain to pray.

No comments: