Friday, November 07, 2008

The Daily Report (A Poem)

I’m ready Lord,
To report the things
I’ve done for you today

I’ve been busy
Spreading your word
Teaching people your way

I laid hands on the sick
And saw them healed
Caused demons to quickly flee

I fed the hungry
Clothed the naked
And set the captive free

I preached a sermon
And sang some songs
I clapped, I danced, I ran

Shared my testimony
The good and the bad
And how I was born again

I served my leaders
Carried their things
Obeyed each and every request

Made sure they had money
Good food to eat
And received plenty of rest

I went to church
And shook many hands
Making sure that I was seen

I hugged on children
And adults alike
Never seeming too distant or mean

But at the end of the day
When I’m ready to report
All the things I’ve done

I realize that
While I ministered all day
I neglected the very main One

I talked to others
But didn’t talk to You
Prayer I completely forsook

I preached and worked
But never once
Did I stop to read the Good Book

I corrected and chastised
And pointed out sin
But neglected to share the Good News

Somehow, O God
I felt better about Me
By telling others they’d broken the rules

So, here I am Lord
No longer wanting to brag
But needing only to repent

Instead of doing Your will
I’ve catered to men
Neglected that for which I was sent

Forgive me now Father
And teach me again
To always serve you before men

This time tomorrow
Our conversation will be different…

Instead of using You
I’ll thank You for using me
And I’ll be pleasing in your sight
Once again!

No comments: